Trout Alert Travels

Trouty's scenic route round the globe

Friday, November 14, 2008

Ananda: first impressions



View blog top tags



The night train was as bad as I expected. It could have been worse though; I could have been in a cheap seat. I was in AC class in a 4 berth sleeper, but couldn't work out which cabin I was in. In the end I went in with 3 middle aged indian men who seemed alarmed at me being there but we got chatting and they eventually told me I could stay. It was only for 4 hrs anyway as the train left at midnight and I was due to get off at 4am. They snored in stereo so I didn't sleep at all. On getting off at Haridwar it was like a refugee camp with bodies strewn all over the floor under rags. It was worse than any station in Delhi for people sleeping rough. My lift was nowhere to be seen so I was easy pickings for the beggars/taxi drivers/nutjobs. I fended them off and eventually found my lift. Another one hour drive through Haridwar and up to Rishikesh and finally I reached Ananda. It was in the pitch black but I could tell the scenery was spectacular and we crossed the Ganges several times I think.

It was about 0530 by the time I got to Ananda so I was feeling very spaced out indeed. It is a maharaja's palace on top of a hill, and the estate spreads out for miles around so no one is allowed to build anything anywhere. It is a most serene and other-wordly place, enshrouded in mist and beautiful landscaped gardens all around.

My room in the hotel is plush, and this is one of the basic ones. I fell into bed at 6am and got up at 10am, and headed over to the spa, where I will be working for the next six months. Oh my god. It is amazing! I had a few treatments to get the feel of them and they were fantastic.

Uniform is another matter. I have to collect it every morning from the staff building laundry section and even though it is a LARGE, indian large still only fits a 4ft person. The trousers, meant to be baggy indian style, ride up my calves and look like capri pants. Although a conversation with my boss today gave me hope - I look such a horror I think he is willing to get some trousers tailored for me. Yippee.

I am about to check out of Ananda and get the staff bus down the hill to Rishikesh for the first time. I have been staying on site for the first few days to get a 'feel' for the place. I also get to see my flat tonight for the first time. It ould either be very good or very bad. I will know in 90 minutes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home