Trout Alert Travels

Trouty's scenic route round the globe

Sunday, February 10, 2008

Crestone - week 1!


View blog top tags

Crestone is a strange little town nestling in the foothills of the Sangre De Cristo mountain range in Colorado. The area is highly sacred in native american indian culture, and the population of Crestone is made up of several Buddhist communities, several ashrams, a Japanese spiritual centre and a high priest of Bhutan also has his summer residence here. How they all found heard about Crestone I don't know – it is really remote and tiny! The plateau that runs through the middle of the area was apparently known as the Bloodless Valley by the native indians, as warring tribes refused to fight here because the area was considered so sacred. The modern day sees equally spiritual gatherings going on but with a global denomination represented.

I have been here a week and completed my first week at Crestone Healing Arts Centre. Wow is it intense. We start at 7am with two hours of kundalini yoga (violent breathing and strange singing/chanting) or chi gong (like tai chi). Then we are sent out into the snow for a silent walking meditation to offer gratitude to the mountains for no less than 15 minutes. I have not made it past 15 mins so far as my feet are frozen by the 10th minute and I have to hobble back to the dojo and defrost my feet on a warm cup of tea. When I landed in Denver from Mexico I was still in my flip flops. I nearly died of shock. The snow out here is severe, and apparently this is the coldest winter in the area since 1970 or something. Thank god I stocked up on winter clothing in Denver before heading out here, although my feet are still constantly freezing!

I live in the school dojo with the two other people taking my course. The dojo is about 4 miles from Crestone, facing the mountains and is a purpose-built barn thing with a large central spongy floor that is used for yoga/aikido. I live on the mezzanine level around the top looking in – it's very peaceful. I have my own sleeping space screened off, and share the kitchen. There is no time to do anything else as teaching starts at 10am and goes through til 5/6pm, and then we have study/massage practicum and of course there is the need to cook dinner at some point – time is very tight!

Today was my first day off so I got a lift into Crestone and hung out at the local internet cafe, called Shambhala (yes). Whilst here I was informed of Crestone Free Box over the road, so I went over to have a look. It is like a free clothing deposit that people take from and donate to. I have been desperate for some snow-proof boots for the morning meditational walks, as potential frostbite is certainly biting into my karmic abilities of staying centred and respectful. Brilliantly there were a pair in the Free Box, slightly too big but that is perfect as I can wedge up with thick socks and have the joy of the feeling of my feet in the mornings now.

I am currently learning a japanese acupressure technique called Shin Jin Do. It involves using various pressure point formulas around the body to deal with various ailments. It's a great treatment and really works on an energy level – I am currently memorising 45 Jin Shin Do points and several more general acupressure ones. My brain hurts.

Last night was our first night free so we hopped in the car and drove 40 mins through the snow to a natural hot springs called Joyful Journeys (the names just get worse...). It was great – sitting in a hot pool under the stars, but my hair and towel froze, and running through snow to get to each pool was quite shocking for my tootsies.

I can only check emails at weekends now on my weekly pilgrimage to Shambhala (snigger) so that is why my correspondence will become virtually non-existent over the next 3 months.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home